Haunted York Village
"It's like something out of a ghost story!"
- Adult Ages 17+
Explore the ghostly tales and legends of Old York Village, Maine.
with the author of the local bestselling book Haunted York County, Roxie J. Zwicker.
Walk in the shadows of 300 years of mysterious history and discover the many lingering ghost stories. Enjoy spooky tales from the Old Gaol; which served as a prison from 1719 through 1860, and is one of the oldest British Public Buildings in America.
Some guests have called the setting like something out of a Stephen King Movie, while others say that they were awake all night after the tour. Please note that the village is quiet at night and even the trees in it have stories to tell.
*This tour is only offered for just a few select dates each year.
**Also please note that due to time restrictions we do not go into any buildings.
- Hear about some fascinating stories from the historic one-room schoolhouse, and the colonial tavern.
- Walk with us through the fabled old York Burial ground, one of the oldest graveyards in Maine.
- View the captivating carvings of skulls and curious epitaphs.
- Discover the symbolism and superstitions behind some of the oldest gravestones in York county.
- We will even share tales of a local haunted inn, lighthouse and ghost ship. Should you decide to take a ride down to our local beaches, we will tell you where to look!
- Separate folklore from fact and find that truth is often stranger than fiction.
You may find yourself talking about this tour for quite some time afterwards.
- Some guests have called the setting like something out of a Stephen King Movie, while others say that they were awake all night after the tour. Please note that the village is quiet at night and even the trees in it have stories to tell.